Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Footprint Reduction Update


1. I will eat at least one meal a day made from local foods.
This goal has not been a complete success, but I am making progress. All most all my produce(about 90%) has been locally grown products. I eat these items about once a day, so none of my actual meals have been completely comprised of local food.
2. Buy 50% more recycled products, or products with less packaging.
Since I have been buying more produce, the foods I buy have less packaging. I haven’t bought anything other than food in the last month, so it is hard to say whether this goal is being achieved.
3. Stop using plastic bags.
This goal has been going very well for me, especially since I don’t shop very often. Every time I have shopped, whether it’s for groceries or for miscellaneous items, I have used my durable reusable bags. I actually like them better than plastic bags. My bags are durable, hold a lot, and can hold heavy loads.

New Goal
I have decided to make a goal that does not involve my purchasing behavior, since my buying frequency is fairly low. In addition to the goals above, I have been trying to save energy in my home

4. Unplugging the unused
I plugged all my electronics that are in my room into a power strip, and I turn it off when I am not using those electronics. In addition, I have committed to unplugging all our kitchen appliances that are not in use. Usually, we have a toaster, blender, and coffee maker plugged in at all times. 

1 comment:

  1. Chrystal - unplugging should bring your electricity bill down significantly........ see if it does :)

    ReplyDelete